It is evident that lighting plays a fundamental role in any space, be it interior or exterior. There are many types of lighting and knowing which is the right one for each space or environment is not an easy task. For this reason, from Goodwork, as LED lighting manufacturers experts in interior LED lighting and in public lighting with leds, we want to talk to you in this post about the types of lighting, and the range of products suitable in each case.
What types of lighting are there?
In this post we focus on explaining the four most prominent types: general lighting, focal, ambient and decorative.
- General lighting: general lighting is that which illuminates a room in its entirety, allowing us to move through a space without shadows or dark areas. Normally it is the lighting that is placed on the ceiling of the rooms, above the human eye. However, it can also be seen in wall lights.
- Focal illumination: is an intense illumination that has the objective of illuminating a concrete point of a room. Normally this type of lighting is combined with general lighting. This combination should seek the perfect balance, avoiding the appearance of shadows and seeking that the light does not dazzle and is completely clear and direct..
- Ambient lighting: This is the type of lighting aimed at creating an atmosphere. This lighting is not very intense and is usually obtained thanks to regulators. Ambient lighting is achieved by the way the lamps (standing, ceiling or wall) are placed inside the space.
- Decorative lighting: it is used to highlight some decorative objects or some relevant architectural elements. One of the uses of this lighting can be used to highlight a picture through a wall light, among many other things.
Types of luminaires
As you have seen, there are many types of led lighting, and it was not going to be any less with types of luminaires. By luminaries we mean: “lighting apparatus that distributes, filters or transports the light emitted by a light source, and that includes all the devices necessary for its correct operation”, downlight, recessed luminaires, projectors, bells, led strips, etc.
Depending on the project and its needs, some luminaires or others are chosen, their powers, lumens, colour temperature, degrees of protection and other light characteristics are taken into account, as well as their appearance once installed..
Normally it is advisable to combine different luminaires to achieve the desired lighting, this allows us to have in a space of several environments, depending on the luminaires we use.
Decorate with light
There are five lighting systems in interior decoration: direct, indirect, semi-direct, semi-indirect, and mixed lighting system.
Below we detail what each of these lighting systems consists of:
- Direct illumination: directs the light towards a specific area. With this system, very intense shadows can be created.
- Indirect lighting: it directs the light towards the ceiling, so that the light is distributed throughout the room by refraction. With this system we look for a soft light for the environment, a light free of shadows.
- Iluminación semi-directa: parecido al de la iluminación directa, pero en esta ocasión se usa un difusor que distribuye mejor la iluminación y no crea sombras tan intensas.
- Semi-indirect lighting: it is the system that sends light to the ceiling without diffuser and to the area to be illuminated with diffuser.
- Mixed lighting: this is the system that directs 50% of diffuse light towards the ceiling and 50% of diffuse light towards the area to be illuminated. It is a pleasant light to create ‘ambient zones’.
Advantages of LED lighting
As we told you in the article “10 reasons to switch to Led“, the Led has many advantages.
If you have already convinced yourself of all the advantages of LED lighting and are looking for a company that carries out Led lighting projects for any interior or exterior space, please contact us at contact.